What gender issues are colleges facing?
- Liberal arts colleges are becoming increasingly female. Some liberal arts colleges are looking to keep the percent of men at greater than 40%.
- There are too few women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
How should high school students spend their summer?
- Do something constructive.
- Test some idea, like “what is it like to work?” or “what is field x like?”
What is the role of the interview in the admissions decision?
- The Muhlenberg College representative indicated that 75% of students are interviewed by their admissions staff on campus or off-site. Their interview is both evaluative and informational. The college wants to get at intangibles like what is the student hoping for and whether the student is kind and civil.
- The Dartmouth College representative said that alumni conduct the interviews and score the prospective students on a 1 – 5 rating score. 41% of the students interviewed received a score of 4 or 5. Dartmouth is interested in learning why the students want to attend their college.
- At Rutgers University, students from the Pharmacy School and the Mason Gross School have interviews.
How are you using social media?
- Rutgers University does not read the student’s Facebook page.
- After students were accepted to Dartmouth College, they could participate in a Class of 2016 page. High school students could video chat with current Dartmouth College students.
What’s happening with Spring admits?